Lentil Soup (Dahl)
Another hearty dish that we absolutely love to have during those cold winter days! Chunky lentils are full of flavour and protein packed for you vegan lovers.
1/2 cup of split chickpeas (chana dahl)
1 cup of red lentils
3 cups of hot water
1 tsp of fresh minced ginger
4 freshly minced garlic cloves
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 to 1 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder.
1 2-3 tsp of ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1-2 tbsps of olive oil
1 onion peeled and diced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Fresh bunch of coriander for garnishing
Juice of half a lemon (optional)
1 tsp of garam masala. (optional)
- Soak split chick peas and and red lentils for 8 hours or overnight.
- Wash both lentils in warm water after soaking several times.
- Boil lentils in a pot or pressure cooker. Drain water out and set aside once cooked.
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds to oil once you feel the oil is hot. Cumin seeds will slightly pop. Turn the heat down once you see cumin seeds popping.
- Add ginger and garlic to the oil before the cumin seeds start to go a charcoal colour.
- Add the onions to the oil and sauté till onions are soft.
- Add turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the cooking onion. Let the flavours mix through.
- Add cooked lentils and half cup of water.
- Mix around and simmer on low heat. Take half cup of the lentils and blend in a food processor. Once processed add back to the lentils. This will give lentils a thicker texture.
- Add lemon juice if preferred.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve with rice, your favourite bread, roti or naan bread.